RE: is "technologies" a word?

Subject: RE: is "technologies" a word?
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:02:06 -0400

Both of the definitions you give seem pretty non-standard to me
with their focus on acquiring knowledge. There are a lot of
definitions in different disciplines, but the majority of them focus
on the *use* of knowledge to produce proctical results of some
type. One of the better defitions I've seen says something like
"the application of organized knowledge--including any tool,
technique, product, process, method, organization or system--
to practical tasks."

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:05:28 -0400

Well, it depends on how you define the singular "technology." If you
feel that it should refer solely to the GENERAL concept of acquiring
technical knowledge and using it make technical advances, then the
plural "technologies" would be unacceptable usage. If, however, you
define the singular "technology" as acquiring technical knowledge IN A
SPECIFIC FIELD and using it to make technical advances IN THAT FIELD,
then the plural makes sense.

These days, I think it is fairly common to talk about technology with
respect to a specific field -- i.e., "medical technology."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com