Re: Exercise to get participants involved

Subject: Re: Exercise to get participants involved
From: Ken Munro <kenmunro -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:40:47 -0300

Hi.

>From my ESL days, a common ice breaker I used was called Find Someone
Who. Make a handout titled Find Someone Who and then list a series of
things relevant (or irrelevant) to your workshop. On each line, but a
blank space for people to fill in names. Then get them to stand up and
mill around trying to fill in names for each item. Make it a little
silly if you want to lighten the mood. This gets them physically up
and moving around, asking questions to each other, and getting to know
each other. After five or ten minutes, do a wrap up and review each
item as a group.

For example:
Find someone who:
1. Has gone rock climbing or sea kayaking. ___________
2. Has seen the Rolling Stones live. _______________
3. Can write a complex sentence. ______________
4. Has been to Shanghai. _______________
5. and so on.

10 to 20 items would be enough. Do it first thing in the workshop.

Have fun with it, and they will have fun with it.

Cheers.

Ken

--
kenmunro -at- gmail -dot- com