Re: Interview follow-up note: First or last name usage?

Subject: Re: Interview follow-up note: First or last name usage?
From: Jefro <jefro -at- jefro -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:33:24 -0700

During the interview, how did you address each other? I would use that as a guide. In interviews I try to stay very aware of calling the other person by the name they introduced themselves with, or the name with which they were introduced. Usually if the other person is calling me by my first name, they expect the same treatment. One of the pleasures of living in a flat caste system.

When I am the interviewer I try to stay aware of how the other person addresses me as well, using the same criteria. I usually start by saying something like "Hi, I'm Jeff", and wait to hear how they introduce themselves. Any follow-on communication should use the level of formality established in the interview. My 2 cents, naturally.

So, simple question: Do I address the note as "Dear John",or "Dear Mr. Smith"?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com