Re: Linking to online help topic

Subject: Re: Linking to online help topic
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:49:49 -0400

That's all nice, but it's irrelevent whether Bill's a goober or not.

You might not like the way he phrased his response, which was sort and
not cute and fuzzy, but sometimes we use red pens just because.

Typically, to answer a question, we need to know what tool, what you
are doing, and how. The kind of online help being created is
important. Is this a matter of using a help API correctly? If so,
which one? Etc.

So, if you are creating online help and are unaware that there are
different kinds of online help--this is not really a tool thing, it's
about your knowledge of your own domain, online help--then sure, you
didn't know to provide that info. I expect people who are creating
online help to be aware of such things, however. And, yes, people
forget. I forget. Sometimes you simply forget to post the relevant
information. If you forget, and someone posts a reminder in a way that
doesn't make you smile and coo, suck it up; no worries; this is
online; get a thicker skin; get over it; then post the information the
group needs.

Also, if you are creating online help and don't know there are
different kinds of online help and it is in your job description to
create online help, I strongly recommend broadening your professional
horizon with an STC membership, attend WinWriters, take some training,
talk to peers, get interested in and knowledgeable about your
profession.

Finally, if my red pen offends, tough, suck it up.

======