RE: Corporate World vs. Small Company: Considerations?

Subject: RE: Corporate World vs. Small Company: Considerations?
From: "Gale Stafford" <gstafford -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:23:14 -0500

Amy (and others who are thinking of job-switching)

I have worked salary and contract positions in a bunch of different
environments: in small non-profits of 80-100 people, a large public
university, small software company 80-100, tiny software company consisting
of 3 folks, a 200+ employee engineering company, a 200+ employee e-book
publishing company.

The small non profit of 80-100 people was the best. Here are some benefits I
saw which might also come with other orgs of a similar size

+ Agile and adaptive organization overall (didn't have the bureaucracy seen
in big public non-profits like .gov or .edu orgs)

+ Fun people (might have been more of a result of the non-profit's mission,
though)

+ Lots of variety, which meant more opportunities to learn and develop new
skills

+ Fellow coworkers felt more like family than coworkers

But there was one disadvantage: the pay was rather low. For the San
Francisco area, my pay was definitely on the lower end of the spectrum.

Tom Peters (http://tompeters.com) and Seth Godin
(http://sethgodin.typepad.com/) both talk a lot about the benefits of
smaller organizations. Their views match up pretty well with my life
experiences. ;-)

Gale Stafford

~~~
Gale Stafford Consulting