RE: User Manual par excellance

Subject: RE: User Manual par excellance
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:58:49 -0700

Uh, does he think you're writing a *novel*?

A good user manual solves the customer's problems. A grand successful
user manual does that with such clarity that the customer writes you a
letter full of praise.

Always ask yourself "what is the user trying to do?" Then ask yourself
"does this book help the user do that?"

The keys are organization, clear writing, and accuracy.

Grabbing the user's interest is not high on my list. I leave that to the
marketing documentation.

HOWEVER, you also have your boss as a customer. So, write something
clear and powerful that assures the customer that the software is
greater than sliced bread ever was. Put this as the first in the
introduction. No harm in it, but don't worry that most users are gonna
*read* it.

Contrariwise, spend *lots* of time on your TOC and your index. For a
user manual, customers may want a 15-minute course on how to get
started. After that, I think most customers "full-text search" a book to
answer questions.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.