RE: All caps for UNIX (for no good reason)

Subject: RE: All caps for UNIX (for no good reason)
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:08:17 -0400

The only trademark applications that need to be accompanied by
a .jpg file are applications for a "stylized or design mark"--more akin
to a logo than a conventional trademark name. The vast majority
of trademark applications are for "plain" trademarks, because that
kind of trademark confers greater protection, protecting against
any deceptive use of the name regardless whether that use
attempts to mimic the specific appearance of a stylized mark.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
Subject: All caps for UNIX (for no good reason)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:45:27 -0400

> Today, a trademark application normally includes a .jpg file of the
> relied upon, according to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
> (http://www.uspto.gov).

Well, obviously the UNIX trademark application wouldn't have
included a .jpg file... But anyway we're talking about registering
a name rather than a graphic. I'll try to get around to doing the
UNIX research in a few hours...

Mark L. Levinson
Herzliya, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il

http://mail2web.com/ .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com