Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers ShouldKnow About ...

Subject: Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers ShouldKnow About ...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:14:06 -0700

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 17:56 -0400, HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com wrote:
> One of the things to remember is that not all tech writers have the 'luxury'
> of having access to Linux.

No, but there are a lot of open source applications that you can use
under Windows, too. I've yet to meet a manager who insisted on paying
for PhotoShop when the GIMP was available for free.

> What are the requirements to have Linux on a 'home' PC desktop?

That depends on the distribution you choose and how you configure it. In
general, though, Linux is far less demanding about hardware than
Windows. Unless you are doing memory-intensive work, you could be quite
comfortable with 128 megabytes of
RAM.

A barebones installation of Linux with a desktop is about 750 megabytes.
However, you can have several gigabytes of additional programs if you
choose.

> Does it require a 'dual boot' configuration?

Usually -- at least if you want to use it on a computer that has a
Windows installation. One or two distributions install alongside
Windows, but I haven't used them and can't vouch for them.

If you're interested in just seeing Linux, I suggest that you download
and burn a Knoppix CD. Knoppix is a version of Linux that runs from a
CD. It's slow, which isn't surprising, considering that it's using a CD
drive and detecting your hardware the way it would if you were
installing, but it will give you a good idea of what Linux is like.

Knoppix also makes an ideal rescue disk. It even contains QTParted, an
open source version of Partition Magic.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Mr Ledbetter won't you tell me again,
What's a Mississippi flush and how's it beat this hand?"
"They don't ask questions in the graveyard,
It's a small revolver and any five cards."
- Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Mississippi Flush"

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com