RE: book recommendation for technical writers....

Subject: RE: book recommendation for technical writers....
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:01:09 -0400

Andy said...

> Hello, would anyone out there have one or two recommendations for
> technical writing books? I'm currently going through a TW certificate
> program and would like a good book that would explain "best practices"
> for technical writing.
>
> thanks,
>
> Andy

Sorry for coming to this thread late but I was out Friday.

I got my BA in Technical Writing in 1990. I remember in my first class
in the major on the first day the professor said, "If you had to be a
Technical Writer and you were only able to use one book, use _Elements
of Style_ by Strunk & White. (Now in 4th Edition, Longman Publishers,
ISBN 0-205-30902-X).

It is liable the most concise book you are to find recommended, and it
may have already been recommended by others. Interestingly enough, I
just read Stephen King's memoir, "On Writing" and he also lists the
Elements of Style as not only the finest book on the rules of good
writing, but "essential for anyone that wants to write in the English
language."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com