Re: Why Tech-Writers Should Know About Open Source Technologies

Subject: Re: Why Tech-Writers Should Know About Open Source Technologies
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:55:34 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:
> - By 2010, mainstream IT shops will consider open source for 80 percent
> of their infrastructure software needs.

Wow. I just had occasion to open a very elaborate Word 2003 doc in
OO Writer 1.9. Imported perfectly and ... just looks better sitting
there in Writer. So uncluttered. Feels like a doc I want to work
on _right now_.

Full disclosure: I'm an advocate, booster, and evangelist of open
"office" apps, and especially open file formats. I'm also using it
right now on Debian/Ubuntu, under Gnome, in a GTK environment that's
as up-to-date as it gets.

Been using OO whenever I can since sometime before Sun bought
StarOffice. Yet it's always felt like 'my thing' -- and that
projects needed to be done in one or the other, perfect
cross-compatibility being more hope than reality.

Wow. The tables are perfect. The cross-references and variables
are all correct.

OO Writer 1.9's success is only a hint of what we can expect,
though, a reflection of how well OO is tracking the MS Word file format.

Once business is asking for only OpenDocument files, Word and Writer
and kWrite and Abi can finally compete for our devotion on equal
terms. If Word is still your choice on that day, so be it. But I
don't think it'll be your employer's choice.

OO Writer is the Frame and the Word of the near future. Count on
it. Don't be last to the dance.

LQ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com