Re: Ergonomic Mouse

Subject: Re: Ergonomic Mouse
From: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:18:14 -0400

Ryan,

My tablet works 100% perfect in all cases. I use it exclusively, but
leave the mouse around for others who need it.

You need to check the properties of software and experiment. If you
have the switch set up to your advantage, it will work.

For the bottom switch, I assign right-click. For the top switch I
assign left double-click. In your case, you may want to reverse the
assignments since you double-click a lot.

You're right about sensitivity. It takes practice to develop fine
motor skills. But it is worth the effort.

You may want to map your screen to a smaller area of the tablet, and
you won't have to move your elbow.

Not sure what O/S you use, but with mine I can single click on a + to
expand. If I want to double-click, I can use the switch. To rename
folders, click to select. Pause. Then click on the filename and it is
highlighted. Or use the bottom switch as I describe in first
paragraph, and select "Rename".

> Ryan Minaker wrote:
Hi Ed,

I think these tablets were designed with drawing in mind. They work
great for drawing lines, shapes, and selecting areas in PhotoShop or
Illustrator etc., but when you try to use them as a replacement for a
mouse they don't work 100% perfectly. For instance, when I want to
double-click on a very small area I find it very hard! When I want to
left-click I need to "tap" the pen down on the tablet, it's really hard
to "tap" in the exact same place twice in a row. Doing things like
double-clicking to rename folders or expanding a folder structure by
clicking on those small "+" symbols isn't always easy. I have the same
problem when I'm dragging and dropping files. Sometimes it's hard to
drag to the right place because the pen is so sensitive. You can play
with the sensitivity settings, but I've never really been able to get it
to work as good as a standard mouse.

Don't get me wrong, I love my tablet, but it has it's drawbacks. I
usually find that I work a little slower when I use it, but my hand
doesn't take nearly the same beating as it does when I use the mouse!

--
Ed Wurster (Voorhees, NJ)
Tech Tips Blog

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com