RE: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers ShouldKnow About Open Source Technologies

Subject: RE: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers ShouldKnow About Open Source Technologies
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:35:18 -0700 (PDT)

I need clarification. Take something along the lines of Linux
database software that you get from Oracle...big bucks...right? It
runs on Linux, which is OS and free (as long as you don't need
support, CD, etc...right?

Is the database software OS? Can an application not be OS, yet run on
OS?

> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 16:01 -0400, R. Armstrong wrote:
> > ...Ok, yeah. There is commercial OpenSource, though doesn't
> > that usually mean that it isn't really open? Just licensed?
> > Semi-Open?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than