Re: Ergonomic Mouse

Subject: Re: Ergonomic Mouse
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:10:11 -0500

Brian,

If you are not using your whole hand and arm when you use a trackball,
it is no wonder you don't like them or that they may cause you pain.
I'm using a "Trackman Marble FX" at the moment, and my hand doesn't
rest on the trackball structure when I"m using it. Instead, my thumb
and fingers control the ball and hit the various buttons as necessary,
with the primary motion coming from my arm. This is much like a touch
typist is trained on the keyboard--NOT to rest the palm of the hand on
the table, but to have them naturally arched as a straight extension
of the wrist, with much of the fore-and-back movement coming by the
arms moving appropriately.

The result is a minimal problem and little involvement at the carpal tunnel.

If your forearms are not roughly parallel to the floor yet slightly
above the level of both your keyboard and your pointing device, you
are asking for trouble, I believe. The work surface and/or chair
should be adjusted accordingly.

David

On 9/14/05, Brian Gordon <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca> wrote:

> I also find using a trackball much harder on the hand
> than a mouse. For me, it's because my wrist is
> stationary while my hand and fingers roll the ball. I
> have the same problem with the scroll wheel on the
> mouse.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com