Re: Ergonomic Mouse

Subject: Re: Ergonomic Mouse
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:47:45 -0500

Ryan,

I am currently using the Logitech Marble (top one on that page) on my
primary computer at home. Every now and then, I change--alternating a
Logitech or a Microsoft optical mouse with the Marble. That is to
reduce the repetitive motion issues.

There are various ergonomic mice around that may help you, too. A
small Internet search will yield a bonanza of them with little effort,
along with a great deal of literature about the problem...and about
various keyboards that also help.

However, repetitive motion problems are the result of various
interrelated factors--how you sit, how you position your monitor,
keyboard, and mouse, and how the combination works together. In fact,
I believe a major contributor to "mouse" problems comes because the
mouse is so often at an acute angle because of the many oversized
keyboards forcing it to be outside of a natural, straight position of
the arms.

One combination that seems to be very good is your favorite mouse used
with the Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II--small enough that your
fingers have less far to reach for the various motions, while the
mouse is more torward the center of your body than with a conventional
keyboard. I am relatively sure that it is this outward angle that the
large keyboards require for mousing that results in many problems
(such as sore elbows!). I have the original Happy Hacking Keyboard
Lite on a second machine at home, and it makes a tremendous difference
without having to get into anything too extreme.

Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II:
http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/en/hhkeyboard/leaflet/photo.html#hhklite2

With problems beginning to show up already, I *strongly* urge you to
move aggressively to resolve them now before they become more serious!

David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com