RE: MS Word: Spacing before, after, or both?

Subject: RE: MS Word: Spacing before, after, or both?
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:20:07 +0100

> You illustrate one of the reasons why Word is in truth a rather poor
> choice for an enterprise, in my view, because of so many quirky and
> buried settings that are rarely consistent from system to system.

This is an issue that the MVPs have brought up with Microsoft. Its
undeniable that the inconsistencies exist, though most iof them are pretty
minor.

However, I wouoldn't regard the paragraph spacing issue as a particular
problem in this respect. A far greater problem is the automatically numbered
lists and the comprehensive mess Microsoft made of them, with list galleries
being stored in the registry and it being possible for the numbering in a
document to be dependent on list gallery settings that vary between
machines.

There are ways round this problem (and most others as well) in order to
achieve consistent results, but it can require a high degree degree of
expertise to get such a solution working. But that means I'm not going to be
short of work any time soon! :-)

Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP
www.intelligentdocuments.co.uk