RE: Procedural layots

Subject: RE: Procedural layots
From: "Yves Barbion" <YBarbion -at- uni-learning -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:11:20 +0200

Hi Mats,

yes, you may be right in saying that tables separate the information better for the reader, I don't know. You could do a test and present some unbiased readers with the same procedure presented in a numbered list and in a table and ask their opinion.

Of course, being a writer, I'm biased and, at least in my experience, a numbered list works better because it's easier to write and publish, especially when decisions need to be made in a procedure. Instead of using complex embedded If/Then tables, you could just as well use a "do one of the following" construction. Example:

1. Do this.

2. Do that.

3. Do one of the following:

* If you see condition A, do A+

* If you see condition B, do B+

4. Do this again.

This is a lot easier to write and publish than an If/Then table, especially if you use graphics in your procedure as well.

Also, tables in general are more difficult to "repurpose". Just try to change a single-column layout to a multiple-column layout of your document and see how the tables behave. Or, change your page size from A4 to, say, 170 x 220 mm. And, as we all want to do single-sourcing, convert your document to PDF and some HTML-based online help format. See how the tables behave in both media.

Best regards

Yves Barbion

Senior Technical Writer

Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor