RE: Tech Comms for disaster relief

Subject: RE: Tech Comms for disaster relief
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:45:11 -0400

Bonnie offered...

> Actually, to shift the conversation a bit, I heard some insurance
industry
> person say that it's a possibility that New Orleans will not be
rebuilt at
> all because the industry will not want to support a community that is
> destined to go under again unless major redesign of the topography is
> performed. Or something like that.

That reminds me of some discussion I've read and heard in the past
couple of days. There have been a lot of comparisons between New
Orleans, Venice, and (I think it's the Amsterdam region) Holland's
coastal cities. For centuries these cities have been below sea level,
and with the effects of global warming (irrelevant whether it is the
result of the same natural cycle that produces periodic ice ages or
human activity) on weather these cities are subject to more violent and
frequent weather stresses. I wonder if New Orleans might re-emerge in a
Venetian model where the water is allowed to flow at its natural level
and engineers turn the city into a series of water-filled canals and
islands of land upon which to build and locate civic spaces.

If this model comes to pass it might be the first major American city in
which the number of people actually exceeds the number of automobiles.
It could be refreshing to see a city in this country figure out how to
break its addiction to petroleum, even if that "cure" is imposed by
forces beyond human control.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com