Re: Tech Comms for disaster relief

Subject: Re: Tech Comms for disaster relief
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:04:04 -0700 (PDT)

> Does anyone know of a clearinghouse for tech comm support for
> disaster relief for Katrina? I suspect there is going to be a
> need for buisness data-flow reconstruction, user and instruction
> manuals for relief and reconstruction volunteers, and the like,
> that could use tech comm skills. Is there some kind of plug-in
> channel for this in existing disaster relief programs?

If I was interested in staying in that area for a period of time and
I was interested in working around the clock, he's what I would do.

Contact the disaster recovery companies..the ones in the business of
recovering data from waterlogged computers. Chances are that most
printed manuals are floating down the Mississippi River. Offer the
service of taking the recovered data and reconstructing the manuals
and IT documentation, so that companies can rebuild their server
farms, network applications, and such.

Also, one of the things that happens when you recover data is that
some is unrecoverable. They will need someone to write the content to
fill the gaps.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than