Re: New Poll Question - Buying Power?

Subject: Re: New Poll Question - Buying Power?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:28:08 -0400

> What influence do you have in choosing or buying the tools you use?
>
> * Whatever I want within a budget

As a manager of documentation, I am involved in planning the budget.
If there's a need for something new, we indicate the need in the
budget (so I guess formal justification is required, but really it's a
line item with the trust that I know what I'm doing and am being
reasonable). But when it comes time to buy, I just create the PO and
let the cogs turn. In a couple of days I usually have my download info
or am sent info about the expected receive date for physical media.

As a note for those who are having difficulty in justifying tools,
what I've found works best is if you can justify them on a project
level with project benefits, not department level and writer benefits.
The closer you stick to the company's bottom line, the more you'll be
able to justify purchases. Of course you also need to make sure that
the purchase makes sense... I couldn't justify Arbortext for one and
all on a whim, but making a case for all writers to get MSDN Universal
subscriptions was easy.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736