Re: meeting minutes--

Subject: Re: meeting minutes--
From: Rachel Rawlings <rachel -at- scrivovivo -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:52:16 -0400

Lucero, Peggy wrote:

>I started my present job at the beginning of May '05. Part of my job is
>to capture the meeting minutes for the team's weekly meetings.
>*I am trying to learn how many other tech writers have this kind of a
>responsibility and how they do it.*

I've always tried to avoid having to take minutes. That--and especially
transcription--should be a secretary's job. It's definitely not
something for a technical writer to be doing, and especially not a
female tech writer; we don't want to encourage devolution. ;)

That said, however, the few times I have had to take minutes it just
meant adding a few items to my meeting notes, which the way I take them
aren't much different than taking notes in a lecture. Those were
- the people in attendance, noting whether in person or by speaker
phone, and the names of any expected attendees who were absent;
- any changes to the published agenda;
- /all/ action items and assignments, even if they were not relevant to
me or people I dealt with directly, noting who made the decision and who
received the burden.

Then, of course, there was the matter of typing up the notes, excising
any technical details that weren't pertinent to the decisions made in
the meeting, and emailing it to all concerned.

One tip: Since I'm generally bad with names, I found when I had to take
minutes I also wound up generating a seating chart for the meeting. That
much has remained useful.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com