Re: need help choosing a help authoring tool

Subject: Re: need help choosing a help authoring tool
From: c farley <cfarley1 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:05:26 -0700

Choosing RoboHelp as a help-authoring tool is discussed at length in

IMO: RoboHelp is not a good solution for any help project. Do not
spend your money on it. The product is out of development and you will
(eventually) have to perform this same exercise all over again. Also,
it's not a good idea to build skills is software that is drifting
towards obsolescence. Buy something from a company that at least plans
to be around in 2 years. They might not make it (who can say?), but
it's better than nothing.

I have done a lot of reasearch on this topic lately as my company
decides where to go and what to do about our current help system. We
have been using RoboHelp and RoboSource for a couple of years now and
it works great. Except when it doesn't, which is often.

The help matrix at helpstuff.com is a good resource. It enables you to
compare the tools side by side. The manager of that site is a frequent
contributor to this forum. You can read some of her comments in the
other threads about RoboHelp from this month (august).

what am I going to use? probably AuthorIT, because Doc-to-Enterprise
doesn't have multi-author support.

regards,
-casey-

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com