Re: Syntax preferences

Subject: Re: Syntax preferences
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:29:35 -0400

Depending on your position in relation to the subject, turning the focus ring right or left can either sharpen or soften the focus. (I'm assuming we are talking about a camera here.) This is a classic example of where an illustration should be used with supporting text. It would eliminate any cultural ambiguity, clearly point out where the focus ring is located and arrows could be used to indicate directions. As for turning left to sharpen or right to soften, that could be reduced to "turn the focus ring to sharpen or soften the focus," because at this moment we don't have a clue whether the reader is trying to take a sweeping landscape or a tight macro. We should also include with the image and text something telling reader to grasp the camera firmly so as not to test its impact resistance to terra firma.

Al

Rachel Rawlings wrote:

HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

To adjust focus:

Turn focus ring left to sharpen focus
Turn focus ring right to soften focus

You could 'bold' - Left, right sharpen, soften

Right and left are relative terms, and fairly unspecific when talking
about rotation--especially when you bring in cultural norms.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com