FrameMaker Crash

Subject: FrameMaker Crash
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:12:53 -0500

Hi, Jeff:

If you've not had this kind of behavior in FrameMaker until this Friday, consider that you may be infected by the new worm that's going around. Symptoms are frequent and unpredictable crashes and restarts.

Also, be sure that you're using the latest update to your version of FM, and that your FM version is correct for your version of Windows. You can check at adobe.com/products/framemaker

After spending all day on Friday creating my FrameMaker template, the
system crashed and restarted my machine. Twice. At that point, I left
the office before I could do further damage. Does anyone have any
ideas? I'm wondering if it's a hardware problem or if there's a box I
didn't check while creating the styles.

FM shouldn't crash because of an unchecked or checked box.

Also, to better protect yourself, in File > Preferences > General, turn on Automatically Backup every n minutes. I always set 5 minutes. The only downside to this is in large files - you may find the keyboard hesitates during the save.

Regards,
Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com