RE: How does one "sign-off" on a 200 page document?

Subject: RE: How does one "sign-off" on a 200 page document?
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:35:49 -0400

John Posada asked...

> I have an interesting delema.
>
> [snip]
>
> I can easily say "Send me an email saying you sign off", but it feels
> to me like I'm placing the responsibility on some poor guy who happens

> to know most about the product but has no responsibility for the
> documentation. Is that how you would do it?

At my company there are several people that have to sign off on
documentation: the SMEs (we call them Technical Consultants) have one
sign off (one for each SME), the director of the department that
"requested" the documentation (Commercial Sales, Engineering, Customer
Support, etc.) has another sign off, and our group (Technical
Communications Resources) has two sign offs: one for the author and one
for the Technical Editor (my boss--the Senior Tech. Writer/Editor).
That way no one person is left "holding the bag" and the responsibility
is put at the department level instead of a particular individual. I
don't know if that would work in your case, John, but it might be an
option to explore.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com