Re: InDesign as a FrameMaker substitute?

Subject: Re: InDesign as a FrameMaker substitute?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:21:19 -0700 (PDT)

> Can anyone add to this list or correct/comment on the items? Would
> anyone like to advocate InDesign as a tech writing tool?

I'm sure we can come up with a doozie of a list of things that one
has that the other doesn't. However, and take this from someone who
has convinced the last three contracts to switch from something else
to Framemaker, what we give as a list may have nothing to do with
what you need.

For instance..do you need the ability to perform a search for a table
and is that ability more important that upsetting everyone else now
that they've gotten used to a SW? .

I'm not saying that it isn't...it very well might be. However, when
you go to management with your case, make it a nice short list of
capabilities based on features that are critical to YOUR work...not
ours and not solely a list of features that you wouldn't use even if
you had them.

For instance...where I am now, it was just two features, that when
tied together, made FM the only choice; industrial strength
conditional text and doc-online single sourcing.

The prioor gig it was a set of six features, and the one before that,
one single feature.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than