Re: Indexing a 212-page tech document using WORD '03

Subject: Re: Indexing a 212-page tech document using WORD '03
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:57:37 -0700

> When you select all and update fields (CTRL+A, F9) the updated
> index's headers and footers might get reset to "Same As Previous."
> This can be especially troublesome if (for example) you want the
> index's page numbering to start at 1.

That would be a very unusual setup.

Same as Previous is a good choice for the index sections that are inserted
by the { INDEX } field--those sections start and end midpage within an
existing section, and you probably don't want different headings for all
but the first and last pages in that section.

I wouldn't consider it a bug to have Update Fields set them to Same as
Previous, because I wouldn't set them to anything else. If setting them to
Same as Previous is a change from earlier behavior, it probably wasn't even
noticed by the developers. If it was noticed, or was done intentionally,
they probably considered it a fix.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com