RE: why not an engaging style?

Subject: RE: why not an engaging style?
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:33:22 -0400

David Neeley said a bunch of sensible stuff including:
> This has been a very popular approach among these new users. By using
> a general approach similar to the Information Mapping structure for
> procedural information (an introductory bit telling what the section
> will accomplish, the individual steps clearly set out, and a final
> discussion giving more overview and any reference information that
> might be helpful), working through a tutorial becomes a self-guided
> experience that instructs very effectively, while also serving as an
> easy to use reference later when they may have forgotten one procedure
> or another.

Information Mapping, information schmapping.

In the 60s, a crusty army sergeant instructed a bunch of (us)
army cadets and militia/reservists on how to give a presentation
or a class. His summary, which sticks with me, was:

"Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em.
Tell 'em.
Tell 'em what you've told 'em."

Hasn't let me down in [my gosh that's a lotta] years.

Kevin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com