RE: Docbook WYSIWYG Editors: Low-cost/Free?

Subject: RE: Docbook WYSIWYG Editors: Low-cost/Free?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:09:04 -0700

Dear David,

Thanks for the advice. I looked at Oxygen, but I wasn't sure that it's
WYSIWYG.

Meanwhile, I tested XMetal Standard and found that it *does* support the
Docbook DTD. The wording on their website is very confusing. To quote:

XMLmind XML Editor Standard Edition is a very powerful authoring
tool which has all the features
needed to edit a document conforming to a DTD, whether standard
(DocBook, XHTML, etc) or custom.

but later on

Standard Edition has been artificially restricted in its support
of of W3C XML Schema and RELAX NG.
XMLmind XML Editor Standard Edition cannot be used to create or
edit a document conforming to a W3C XML
Schema or to a RELAX NG schema, unless the root element of the
document has a namespace, and this
namespace is:
* http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema,
* or http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0,
* or http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml,
* or http://docbook.org/ns/docbook,
* or starts with "http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/schema/";.

In practice, this means that Standard Edition can be used to edit

* W3C XML Schemas,
* RELAX NG schemas,
* XHTML and DocBook documents conforming to schema rather than to
a DTD,
* XXE configuration files and XXE demos.

I took this to mean that XMetal standard *did not support DTDs*. But,
re-reading it, it could also mean that
XMetal standard supports *all* DTDs *as well as certain schemas*.

So XMetal should work for the moment.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.