RE: Follow-up: Heading numbering in Word

Subject: RE: Follow-up: Heading numbering in Word
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:13:53 -0400

In the situation you describe, I would reluctantly go with "A." Make
sure that your new, numbered styles have the Style Based On drop-down
list set for "(no style)".

> The article talked about List Templates - are these the
> Styles with the bulleted-list icon to the right, in the
> Styles and Formatting list?

Word starts with default List Templates, and then creates new ones when
the user manually defines a new kind of list (different bullets, Roman
numerals, etc.). When you click Reset in the Bullets and Numbering
dialog box, all of the extra list templates go away.

Your custom-designed styles are supposed to override Word's automatic
numbering and bulleting instincts. However, if you define a style with a
name already used by one of the List Templates, you could be in trouble.
That's why the Styles and Formatting list is a useful check.

-- Dan Goldstein

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com