Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:21:04 -0700 (PDT)

Brian Gordon wrote:
> If no expertise, you're paying a TW to learn
> the software.

Who the heck pays to train TWs? Nowadays they just tell six different
recruiters to go find them somebody who already has the expertise.
Besides, most doc tools are blindingly obvious and don't require
training. So companies who pay to train TWs are at a competitive
DISadvantage, when there are plenty of auto-didacts out there.

> How many hours does someone spend evaluating
> the dfferent OS tools?

Doesn't matter. We were talking about startups. People who start
companies are very different from other people. Startup CEOs tend to
gather people around them who can figure stuff out quickly, and who
know a lot of stuff already. These days, a lot of what they know is
open-source.

Mike O.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com