RE: industry naming standards

Subject: RE: industry naming standards
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:39:48 -0700

I use "click" rather than "click on". This follows MS Manual of Style
3rd Ed., page 227-228. I quote:

"Do not use *click on* or *click at*; "Click in window" is
acceptable, however. With this exception
click should always be a transitive verb".

My usage is
click for buttons, radio buttons, icons, links, etc.
choose for menus
select for text, dropdowns, checkboxes
clear for checkboxes

This follows MSMS3 except for "choose".

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.