Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 03:34:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- sankaraR <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> No one creates a tool for the benefit of
> humanity, if I know my hacker ethiscs righ; one
> builds a tool for one's own use an throws it
> open. And then, others add bells and toots and
> you get a larger, more evolved (on occasion
> robust) piece of s/w.
>
> That is the story I heard, I may have gotten it
> all wrong. If that is indeed right then my
> inference is the following:
>
> No one who actually does open-source coding needs
> to build help systems and pdfs.

Good point - I agree, and just want to add one more:

Many open-source projects are being funded by competitors eager to
undercut Microsoft (e.g., Firefox). It is NOT being built by hobbyist
hackers in their mother's basement. It's being built by developers
sitting at their desks at major corporations like Sun and IBM and many
smaller commercial companies.

So I don't think anyone is out to build a free competitor to undercut
FrameMaker or RoboHelp. It's just not a big enough target.

Mike O.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com