RE: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: RE: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:49:25 -0400

I've used OO at a client's request, and while it's enough like Word to be
usable quickly, I don't like it for the following reasons:

- It tries to too much to be like Word, and some features are cheap
imitations of good Word features.
- It isn't enough like Word where it should be, and arbitrarily drops very
useful Word features.
- It seems to go out of its way to make some tasks difficult and
counterintuitive just for the sake of "not being the way Word does it." When
75% is very close to Word, the little differences are tiresome, especially
when they are not an improvement over Word's approach.
- IIRC, the UI is not good.
- Its Help is about as bad as Word's.

Bonnie Granat | http://www.GranatEdit.com
bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com