RE: RoboHelp problems...

Subject: RE: RoboHelp problems...
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:40:20 -0600

On Wednesday, August 17, 2005, Dan Goldstein"
<DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:

> Can *.hlp files be opened from a network location without Registry
> changes? If so, consider converting to WinHelp.

WinHelp projects can be opened from a network just fine. However,
while I am a WinHelp advocate :) it can be argued that because of
their extensive macro capabilities, they can open you up to a whole
host of vulnerabilities -- the type of vulnerabilities that Microsoft
addressed with the recent changes that affected CHMs.

There is also the possibility that Microsoft may not support WinHelp
on the Vista operating system (it is under consideration -- see the
AP Blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/apblog/), so I don't think it is a
good time to be moving existing CHM projects to a legacy help
system which may not exist on new OSs in a year's time.

Dana W.
Dana Worley
Applications Engineer/Software Support
Campbell Scientific, Inc.