Re: Problem opening CHM files

Subject: Re: Problem opening CHM files
From: Santo Spinali <santo -at- coreco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:32:24 -0400

Microsoft has increased default security since chm files may contain evil
things.
These Microsoft KB articles address the issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-026.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225/

I've tweaked my registry settings to relax security for the internal
network.
Copy the text below to a file with a reg extension and run it to modify
your registry.
Feel free to have your IT folks review this first. Let us know what they
don't like.

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\HHRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001
"EnableFrameNavigationInSafeMode"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001

===================================
Santo
DALSA Coreco
[ www.imaging.com ]

"C L"
<cll01821 -at- lycos -dot- c
om> To
Sent by: "TECHWR-L"
bounce-techwr-l-7 <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
8842 -at- lists -dot- techwr cc
-l.com
Subject
Problem opening CHM files
2005-08-17 09:52

Please respond to
"C L"
<cll01821 -at- lycos -dot- c
om>

A recent Windows XP update has made it difficult, if not impossible, to
open CHM files across a network. I started encountering this right after
the update and then saw a mention of it in some list, perhaps even this
one.

Our IT department is still trying to figure out how to fix it.

I don't know what this means for companies distributing CHMs on a network.

Carol

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com