Re: Differences between Training guide vs User's Guide

Subject: Re: Differences between Training guide vs User's Guide
From: Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:16:52 -0400

Having written both as a course developer and a documenation writer,
I think your feeling that info should not be duplicated is accurate.

The User Guide should document the product and its capabilities.

The Training Guide should document the tasks the user performs
most often. It should consist (I think) mostly of guided exercises
that show the progression from screen to screen. It should refer
to the documentation for any technical discussion or information,
so the users become habituated to using the documentation to
solve problems. The key to this is knowing your audience and
the tasks for which they use the product. Then showing them
how the product and the task intersect.

One book documents the product. The second documents the
way the product is most often used.

Art

--
Art Campbell art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com
No disclaimers apply.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com