Re: Silly question on Word Styles

Subject: Re: Silly question on Word Styles
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:50:31 EDT

Arroxanne, and others

Notwithstanding the 'issues' about MS Word (all versions), and there are a
bunch, Omit

What about the 'poor person' that has to pick up after you, and how easy is
it if you get a tech writer to 'help' you, and he/she does not understand
your tricks.

If you do not establish a standard way of dong things in MS Word, or
Framemaker, or Unix, Linux, or whatever environment you are working in, you may have
a mess later on.

I once got a contract to convert 10 WordPerfect documents into MS Word.

There were 8 writers of the 10 WP documents. No two of them used the same
'style', as evidenced by the structure of the document when turning 'reveal
codes' on.

Would you believe that they had 'excellent control' of the header's and
footers by the number of codes that set up the 'style' of the headers and footers.

Not to mention the way that the various 'Heading 1, Heading 2, ... ' styles
were set and looked when converting to MS Word.

I had to massage the Headers, Footers, and Headings and totally re enter the
headers and footers.

These were relatively short documents but took 5 days to do the work. Even
with the use of macros in WP and MS Word.

I earned my pay that week.

Think about whom has to pick up your stuff when you leave.

My boas at one time told me "not to have a 4-digit year in my program, as
the last 2 digits were ok, and ... you won't be around this stuff any way."
Made money on that too.

Regards,

Harry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com