Re: InDesign as a FrameMaker substitute?

Subject: Re: InDesign as a FrameMaker substitute?
From: Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:41:55 -0400

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree. Or that we're both right.

I'd agree with you that ID was launched as a Quark competitor, but
InDesign rolled out generally in the same time frame Pagemaker was
end-of-lifed, and Pagemaker users were (still are) offered incentives
to switch. Yes, it was lame, and yes, as most programs do, it got
better.

It's acceptance has also been helped by Quark's continued insistence
on shooting themselves in the foot whenever they can.

As far as a FM replacement... Adobe may well use the ID engine in
different products,
eventually, optimised and tuned to do different things. And the
offshoring of FM development to India is really old news (circa 2002),
but it's equally interesting is that the India campus is where Adobe's
own import filters seem to be developed. So unlike you, I still expect
to see an FM 8, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the engine was
ID.

(Although it is ineresting that the milestones and achievements of the
Indian web page www.adobeindia.com show nothing new since 2003...
certainly could just be intertia in updating, because everyone's just
been to busy to do it for several years. But really unlike Adobe not
to toot their own horn.)

Art

<snip> Meanwhile, many of the Frame developers have been cashiered and

--
Art Campbell art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com
No disclaimers apply.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com