RE: Silly question on Word Styles

Subject: RE: Silly question on Word Styles
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:56:13 -0400

The consistent use of styles in *any* tool that supports them
makes the consistent formatting of documents easier, and
therefore makes the documents easier to maintain. Consistently
presenting the same kind of information across all your company's
documents (e.g. using consistent conventions for filenames,
menu cammands, etc. in software documdentaiton) reduces
the users' cognitive load. And making documents easier to edit
and maintain means that the writer(s) has more time to spend
on the important parts of the writing process, like ensuring
the accuracy, appropriateness, and completeness of the
information, rather than futzing around with manually applied
formatting.

My opinion only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
Subject: Silly question on Word Styles
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:26:34 -0400

Fell TechWhirlers,

With the great deal of discussion that occurs here on using style tricks in Word, it makes me wonder...

Does the end-user care, notice, benefit, or lose out if you choose to use/not use the style tricks? In what manners and to what degree? This is strictly a theoretical usability question.

Personally, I use some aspects of Word's Style abilities, but (as we all know) it has "issues" and--being the only TW here--no one else notices or cares whether I set up, use, change, or ignore styles.

Thanks for your feedback.

Arroxane Ullman
Senior Technical Writer
Sundance Digital