MS Word 2000 Numbering Problem

Subject: MS Word 2000 Numbering Problem
From: Beth Brooks <beth -dot- brooks -at- patmedia -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:20:46 -0400

Hi, All!

A quick but heartfelt thanks to those of you who responded to my earlier questions
about MS word. Althought I'm still trying to figure out why users can only use the
spots I set up using Macrobutton NoMacro when the hidden text is
showing, your combined wisdom helped me a great deal.

Now, on to the next template.

My client is a pharmaceutical company. I'm preparing a word template that must
adhere to some pretty rigid guidelines. Among them is a standardized set of
numbered Headings that look (in part) something like this:

2.0 Section Title
2.1 TOC for section
2.2 Intro
2.3
2.3.S
2.3.S.1
2.3.S.2
2.3.P
2.3.P.1
2.3.P.2
2.3.A
2.3.A.1
2.3.A.2
2.3.R
2.4
2.4.1
2.4.2...

I've followed the MVPS site's recommendations for setting up outline-numbered
headings, but I haven't seen anything that looked like this before, and the
attempts I've made to automate this have not worked. There are actually 6 levels of
head in use in the document, so the example above is simplified. The letters are
NOT used in some sections of the document. Also, the temaplate needs to take into
account the fact that there may well be different categories of content within each
section that repeat the headings, like this:

2.0 Section Title
2.1 TOC for section
2.2 Intro
2.3
2.3.S Overview for Disease 1
2.3.S.1 Pharmacology for Disease 1
2.3.S.2 Pharmacokinetics for Disease 1
2.3.S Overview for Disease 2
2.3.S.1 Pharmacology for Disease 2
2.3.S.2 Pharmacokinetics for Disease 2

The content developers using this template cannot be assumed to know much about
Word at all, so I need to make this as easy for them as possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Beth Brooks
Editor, Technical Writer