Re: Current Online Help Tool of Choice?

Subject: Re: Current Online Help Tool of Choice?
From: Dizzy <infodziner -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:50:28 -0400

> > With all of the new security being imposed on browsers (XP sp2 and
> > .chm) and plugins (Flash Reader 8), it's hard to predict which types
> > of help formats will be easily accessible to our users. I think we, as
> > tech writers should be very concerned that these decisions are being
> > made by corporate types who don't appreciate user needs.
>
> I think we, as tech writers, should validate why these decisions are
> being made before we assume it's because corporate types don't care
> about user needs.
>
> > I was never a Flash evangelist, but it seems to me that right now
> > Flash has the best development basis to provide secure access to
> > media-rich help files. Attached is a technical doc about where Flash
> > is heading. At least they're dealing with it. Personally, I hope they
> > bring us into their fold. But they won't do it unless we keep after
> > them.
>
> I have no idea what you mean by "bring us into their fold". Flash has
> been around for quite some time and has been a tool used by tech
> writers since its debut.

Bill:

Thanks for your enlightenment. The topic I was addressing was browser
and plugin security. I'm sure that many of us have already dealt with
issues such as .chm files not running off the network and the new
security settings in Flash Reader 8.

We just need to have confidence that the help files we produce today
will be available to our users next month.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com