RE: Screenshot copyright issues

Subject: RE: Screenshot copyright issues
From: Matthew Harffy <Matthew -dot- Harffy -at- cramer -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:33:39 +0100

Thanks to everyone who emailed me directly or the list with help and advice
on this matter.

Thanks to Joe Malin, Bill Swallow, Bill Guttman, Arroxane and Geoff Hart.

The consensus seems to be that when in doubt, is it best to contact the
legal department of the third party software manufacturer to obtain
permission to use their screenshots. It is possible that license agreements
could stipulate that it is OK to use screenshots too, especially if they are
development licenses. Make sure you have permission in writing.

The issue of fair use of copyright material was also touched upon, but seems
to be too close to legalese for me!

The question of to what level of detail one should document third party
software was also mentioned and is a cause for concern for me at the moment.
I don't want to get dragged into having to maintain a document in accordance
with changes made to someone else's software.

Thanks again.

Matthew

Matthew Harffy
Technical Author
Cramer | Changing the Economics of Telecom

The Square, Lower Bristol Rd, Bath BA2 3BH
t: +44 (0)1225 327429
f: +44 (0)1225 327415
e: matthew -dot- harffy -at- cramer -dot- com
www.cramer.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com