Screenshot copyright issues?

Subject: Screenshot copyright issues?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:14:32 -0400

Matthew Harffy wondered: <<This is my first post, so I apologise in advance if I breach any obscure posting protocols!>>

Tweet! You violated the unwritten rules... out of the pool! <g> Not a lawyer, but I've read much about copyright. With the caveat that you should prefer a lawyer's advice, herewith a reasoned argument for you to consider:

<<What I want to know... is the legality of using screenshots of a different company's software in your software manuals.>>

Copyright is much more straightforward than most people seem to think, even for images. Here's the touchstone: As soon as someone creates an image, they own the copyright to that image until they assign that copyright to someone else. If you want to use that image, you need permission from the copyright holder.

It doesn't get much simpler than that. <g> Of course, there are many finer points, such as "fair use" and the copyright holder's policy on allowing use of their intellectual property. In your specific case:

<< In my case, our software is used in conjunction with Oracle products, but I cannot find mention of third party use of Oracle screenshots on the Oracle web site.>>

Oracle retains copyright to their software interface, but two additional factors apply here: First, if you modify that interface (e.g., use it to build a custom front-end to your own database), you have the right to use the modified form. If not, nobody would be able to develop and distribute Oracle applications because the interface would be copyrighted! Most developer licenses specify the terms for distribution of a product; for example, you wouldn't buy a programming language that wouldn't let you distribute your programs, would you? Neither would anyone else, so this is clearly a permitted use.

Second, fair use allows you to use an image of even their unmodified interface provided that (a) you make it clear that the interface is Oracle's, not something you created, and (b) that you are providing substantial intellectual input rather than using Oracle's hard work to avoid doing any real work yourself.

Think of it this way: If companies could prevent either of these uses, then every publisher of a "for dummies" or other third-party manual would be out of business. On the other hand, you couldn't design your own database software called "MattBase" that looks identical to Oracle and get away with it. See the difference?

<<I have found Third Party Usage Guidelines for Oracle Logos (http://www.oracle.com/html/3partylogo.html) and Third Party Usage Guidelines for Oracle Trademarks (http://www.oracle.com/html/3party.html) but cannot find anything specific to the use of Oracle screenshots in third party documentation.>>

Presumably, there's contact information on those pages. When in doubt, go directly to the source, and keep a printed copy of their reply on file. But I'll bet you that somewhere in the licensing agreement or the page that describes how to distribute homemade Oracle applications, there's a clear statement (well... written in incomprehensible legalese, but clear to lawyers!) that allows you to use their images.

<<Do you know if there is a definitive answer?>>

The only definitive answer in legal matters is the following: "If their lawyer is better than ours, and plays golf with the judge who hears our case, we're toast." <g> "Jurisprudence" is my favorite one-word oxymoron. <gdrlh>

www.geoff-hart.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com