re: Repair Parts List Organization

Subject: re: Repair Parts List Organization
From: "JOE HODGE" <JHODGE -at- arielcorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 08:30:09 -0400

Tom,

If you have can find it, ATA uses a very (imho) good way to present and
organize parts lists. It is formatted in such a way to allow the reader
to easily tell how assemblies break down and go together and shows the
relationship between assemblies that are similar but with minor
variations. It also allows for the use of vendor part numbers or your
own part numbers.

Component Maintenance Manuals (CMMs) provide...

* Figure and Item Number. A numbering system for each component that
provides for use of alternates and superseded parts.

* Part Numbers. Yours or a vendors.

* Nomenclature. Part description.

* Effectivity Code. Establishes part number relationships with
assemblies, which are essentially the same, but have minor variations.
i.e. part number 100-1 uses this widget, part number 100-2 uses that
widget.

* Units Per Assembly. Quantity per assembly not per unit.

It uses an indenture level system to show the relationship of each
listed item and its next higher assembly.

I don't have access to any of my old documents or the web where I'm
currently working, but if you like I can send you a sample or two with
detailed explanations. Will be Sunday evening, Monday morning before I
can send this info though. Going out of town immediately after work and
won't be back till Sunday. If anyone else is interested in the info,
send me a quick note to my personal address below.

Thanks much,
Joseph L. Hodge
Technical Writing

Lostcreek Technologies Group
14335 Mill Hollow Lane
Strongsville, OH 44136

Voice: 440-268-0579
Fax: 440-268-0579
Mobile: 440-610-3598
E-mail: jlhodge -at- lostcreektech -dot- com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com