RE: Paragraph numbering - industry standard?

Subject: RE: Paragraph numbering - industry standard?
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:48:10 -0400

I received several requests for references. Here are some to get you
started:

The topic at hand is paragraph numbering -- specifically, hierarchical
(or "outline") paragraph numbering, the kind that gives you 1.3.5.2.2
(whew). For that, the simple solution is the AutoNumLgl field. The
Knowhow.com site has a clear explanation of AutoNumLgl at
<http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/ComplexNumbering/ComplexNumbering.htm>.
AutoNumLgl requires that you use proper heading styles (which you should
have been doing anyway).

SEQ fields are good for creating fancier outline numbering. Andy
Crawford gives a nice explanation of these at
<www.stcsig.org/lw/Autonumber.pdf>. David Knopf has posted his SEQ
tricks to TECHWR-L at least a few times, most recently at
<http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/archives/0410/techwhirl-0410-00198.ht
ml>.

(I also mentioned the ListNum field, which I *always* use for simple
lists, but that's not really the topic at hand.)

As Knowhow.com says: "Word's heading numbering feature does not use
fields (it would probably be better if it did)." Autonumbering is bad,
fields are good. Fields are your friends.

Other references welcome!

-- Dan Goldstein

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com