Re: References (was: Why discuss certification?)

Subject: Re: References (was: Why discuss certification?)
From: tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:12:36 -0600

I can think of other reasons. What if they give you a glowing reference
and you turn out to be the worst person the new company hires? What if
they say anything negative about you and it causes you not to get the job?
I think it all boils down to one thing. People are reluctant to stick
their neck out for someone because it may come back to bite them. Whether
the danger is real or imaginary, it is real in their minds.

Fortunately, kind people do exists and you are blessed if you get to work
for them. They're the ones who will give you a reference because it is the
right thing to do and they'll stick by what they wrote or spoke.

I haven't tested this, but I've read that testimonials from clients or
customers can carry a lot of weight when it comes to sales. Perhaps that
can be applied to job-hunting as well. If you get positive feedback from
customers, maybe that would go just as far as a reference.

Tom
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com
Elk Rapids, Michigan--where the weather was hotter and more humid
yesterday than it was in Florida.

Martin wrote:

BTW, why is it that so many companies these days are so restrictive
when it comes to offering references? I was once told it was due to
fear of lawsuits if someone was terminated, but if I got fired from a
job, I probably wouldn't be using anyone from that company to big-up
my skills.

Martin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com