technical question (imagine that!) on browser compatibility

Subject: technical question (imagine that!) on browser compatibility
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 07:12:40 -0400

Folks,

I have learned in the last day that there is a problem with my Web site, www.dmargulis.com, when it is viewed using Netscape 8 when it is set to "display like Internet Explorer" mode (I don't know if this setting is also available in Firefox).

In any other browser that I know about, there is a graphic across the top of the page that consists of my name and tag line. In Netscape 8 (in IE mode), that graphic does not display. I have no further information (such as a View Source listing or any kind of page info or diagnostics) from the browser, as I don't have it installed.

I'd like to know if this is a known problem that affects lots of sites. I'd also like to fix whatever is wrong with my site so that this display glitch goes away.

If anyone can offer any insight, I'd appreciate it. In particular, if you have NS 8 installed and would be willing to do a little investigating and reporting (sending me the View Source listing or other diagnostics you can find), that would be very helpful.

One list member I contacted privately is looking at W3C standards issues for me; so I expect to be updating the site shortly with those corrections. However, in case that doesn't solve the problem, I'm looking for whatever other information I can glean.

Thanks,

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com