RE: Reviewing pdfs?

Subject: RE: Reviewing pdfs?
From: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:51:47 -0700

>>Carla wrote: Obviously, when I'm reading for content, it takes much,
much longer. The 350 page guide takes about 3-5 days for one thorough
editing pass.

Phew. I'm glad to see that you aren't the Superwoman of editing! I was
beginning to feel like chilled molasses with my editing speed. You must
have some incredibly good writers. =))

We also use FrameMaker and send content out for review in PDF. I have
the full version of Acrobat 7 (recently upgraded) and use that often for
content review (and to me for editing) in PDF. But we also send out docs
for review in Word. Or some docs still come to me on paper.

Jeff asked: >>but I'm wondering if there are other pdf editing solutions
out there.

I don't know of them. I'd be interested in hearing, but frankly, Acrobat
seems to be a "standard" - if there even is one - and most people know
it. I think it would be received the same as if we made everyone here
change away from using Word. People are comfortable with the tools they
know, and they know Word and Acrobat, and prefer not to learn a new
tool, but to focus on their "real jobs", which isn't editing or writing
docs. It's getting the raw content to us, and then servicing their
customers.

Maybe what I'm rambling on about is that the easier and more intuitive
the tool for the reviewer, the better. I can take the time to learn the
new skills for my job - that falls within the scope of what I do. But
for the engineers, managers, and so on who have to review the content,
probably best to leave them with the easiest review tool possible. That
seems to be Acrobat or Word - for now.

But then, what do I know?

Claire Conant
Technical Editor