RE: What do people work from?

Subject: RE: What do people work from?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:30:59 -0700

I work from the product and from interviews with SMEs and users. I have,
from time to time, had design documents available to me, but I don't
always count on them. In my current job, I have no design documents at
all!

Design documents go out of date quickly. The engineers often update them
*after* they've updated the SW.

SMEs are the best. Often I help *them* resolve consistency issues at the
same time they are helping *me* understand the inner working. I have a
background as a SW engineer, which helps.

Note that the SME is not always the engineer developing the code. In a
previous job, I was documenting our implementing of JavaServer Faces. I
had read a lot about JSF and done some coding in it by hand. By the time
I was working on the documentation, I knew as much as the engineers
about the standards! But that's unusual.

In my current position, I find that the engineers designing the software
often don't understand the customer situation that the software is
supposed to resolve. I work with the customers and the engineers to
ensure that we're solving the problem correctly, *and* that we're
solving the right set of problems.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.