SDK documentation?

Subject: SDK documentation?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:37:15 -0400

Carrie Baker wondered: <<For the first time I have to document an SDK... are there any good sites on the web with tips and advice for documenting SDKs. What should I learn to be able to write about this better?>>

My standard advice is that you work directly with the developers to get a feel for how they use the SDK. They may also be able to point you towards beta testers or primary clients who use the tools. Understanding how these people work will give you some strong insights into what information is necessary and how to present it effectively.

As well, have a look at Gordon and Gordon's workshop/workbook/DVD product: http://www.thirdwavestudios.com/gg/workbooks.html
This gets good reviews, so despite the fact that both Gordons are personal friends, I feel no conflict of interest referring you to that product. Since Manny Gordon (http://gordonandgordon.com/) gives workshops on the topic, you might be able to talk him into coming to you if you can round up enough students to make it worth his while.

www.geoff-hart.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com